Squeezing in a Workout Before Work
You know that exercise is a great way to start the day, but it can be tough to fit time for a workout into your busy schedule. These are some suggestions for how to free up more time in the morning, along with exercise routines that will make you look forward to getting out of bed.
Tips for Freeing Up More Time in the Morning
1. Sleep well. If you wake up tired every morning, you probably need to get more good quality sleep. Stick to a consistent bedtime and turn off the TV and computer at least an hour before you retire. You’ll do everything faster when you feel fully alert.
2. Store workout gear in one place. You’ll always know where your bicycle helmet is if you keep it by the front door. Keep your gym bag packed and in your car trunk so you’re always ready to go.
3. Lay out your clothes the night before. Stop wondering what to wear in the morning. Get your outfit ready before you go to bed.
4. Enlist family support. It’s always easier to make positive life changes when you have the support of your loved ones.
Tips for Morning Workout Sessions
1. Visit the gym. Become an early bird at your gym. It’s often less crowded. The people who are there also tend to be more dedicated, so it may rub off on you.
2. Work out at home. You can stay fit without a gym membership. Turn on the TV to join in an exercise program. Jump rope or use a stairs machine.
3. Sign up for an exercise class. Making it to class on time gives you an extra incentive to be prompt. Check the morning schedule at your local yoga studio. Libraries and community centers often offer programs at little or no cost.
4. Train at work. Many companies are investing in employee wellness programs. Your boss may be happy to lend the conference room for a session of step aerobics before work.
5. Head out to a park. If you live or work in the city, you can still enjoy exercising outdoors. See what’s going on at your local park. There may be a running track, fitness stations or drop-in Tai Chi classes.
Daily exercise can help you lead a longer and healthier life. Put physical activity first on your morning schedule. You’ll feel more energetic all day long.